Where did my money go?
I started a budget halfway through December. The budget has a November entry with 0's across the board. In December, I have some money coming in for the month, and money budgeted. The budgeted amount is LESS than the incoming Funds amount. I don't know where the difference went. I expected it to be in my TBB at the top. Where did it go? I wanted to be able to start adding some into various categories, but that ~$130 difference is just "gone".
You realize we're at the end of February now.
What does the Budgeted in the Future line in the header say in December? Most likely you used that leftover money when budgeting January. Unused money in the TBB is still available in the TBB during the next month.
At this point I would not worry about December and just make sure February is clean.
Hi Ramsey !
I'm hoping an explanation of the header will help pinpoint where your funds are! :)
To be Budgeted is the sum of the four values to its right:
+Funds for [This Month] is the total of:
- the amount leftover in To be Budgeted from last month
- the amount Budgeted in Future from last month
- all Inflow:To Be Budgeted transactions for the current month (including from Reconciliation Balance Adjustments)
- any Starting Balance transactions with a date in the current month on cash accounts (not credit card accounts)
- any positive credit card balances in the current month
- any cash advances from a credit account to a cash account in the current month
-Overspending in [Last Month] is the total of all cash overspending (checking/savings/cash accounts) in the previous month. The individual amounts are shown in red in the last month's Available column for any categories with cash overspending.
-Budgeted in [This Month] is the total of the Budgeted column in this month.
-Budgeted in Future is the amount of this month's funds you have budgeted in future months.
The thing about checking December is that your account balances on the left hand side of your budget, are for the current month. To compare those to December, you'd need to open each account and select all of the transactions up to the last day of December to see what the account balances were on that date, then compare them to the Available amount in December. Does that make sense?
Let me know and we'll go from there! :)