YNAB tells me I allocated some money for a category in future month which was a substantial amount but i don't remember doing it. Is there a way to track when that allocation happened? I reconciled all my accounts to make sure there wasn't an error but everything reconciled right. I need to stop allocating money to next month, it just creates more headache however how do i make sure my budget is correct.
No, there is no way to track when that happened.
Reconciling is a way to check your account balances in YNAB match the reality. Categories don't affect that equation in any shape or form.
I highly recommend using the Next Months Income category for the money you have set aside for expenses past the current month. It really helped to create budgeting clarity for me when I started doing that instead of budgeting in the future months.
Hi Aquamarine Commander !
Our Design Team is looking into creating a log of changes made to the budget, but I can't promise when you'll see it in your budget. For now, you can do a quick self audit to confirm you've only budgeted the funds you currently have.
- Advance to the furthest month in the future you can go, since you've been budgeting ahead.
- In the right sidebar, when no categories are selected, you’ll see your Total Available amount, which is the sum of the Available column.
- Add that to the amount you have left To be Budgeted and any amount Budgeted in Future, if applicable. Let’s stop here for a minute, just in case your To be Budgeted was negative. If it is, you would need to subtract it from Total Available, because that means you’ve given jobs to funds you don’t yet have. Preferably though, you would go back to this month’s budget and budget less in a few categories until To be Budgeted is back in the green at zero.
- Now, add up the cash in your accounts. That includes checking, savings, and cash accounts, plus any positive balances on credit cards if applicable. Be sure to check through your closed accounts and add any positive balances as well. (If you find a positive balance in a closed account, you may need to delete scheduled transactions and/or reconcile the account.)
- Your totals in step 3 and 4 should match up exactly.
Give that a try and let me know if you still have questions! If you'd like to share your thoughts on how you'd use a 'History" function, or have ideas on how it should function, feel free to let our Product Team know by submitting a Feature Request! :)