YNAB Month rollover behavior
Dear Pro YNABers .
Since the beginning of my experience with YNAB, month rollovers are a tad confusing to me . It does feel that YNAB Chaos Monkeys takes all my budgeted money, throw it in the air and it goes to different place all the time....
Ok I know it is not that ..... But that is my second thread on this and I clearly didn't got it the first time. But now, to understand better the infamous month rollover, I purposely created 2 differents condition in my budget to experiment. In my Just For Fun Categories, I have the following 3 items:
- Drinks (with a Monthly goal of 80$). Had manually budgeted $180, used $18.51 in April, remaining $161.39
- Dining Out (No Monthly Goal). Had budgeted 300$, used 204.21$, remaining $95.79
- Fun Money (No Monthly Goal). Had budgeted 200$, used 0$. Remaining $200
So April pass the puck to May....
- Drinks (still with a Monthly goal of 80$). budgeted $0 so far, $161.39 remain in the envelop.
- Dining Out (No Monthly Goal). Does show a budgeted amount of -$96.79 .
- Fun Money (No Monthly Goal). Does show a budgeted amount of -$200 .
(See Screenshots for details)
So on the Drinks Categories, where I had a budgeted money AND a goal... nothing happened. The money stayed comfortably in place, awaiting to be consumed on my worst sins (Either a Starbuck Grande Non Fat Latte, or a good local craft beer!). So I am safe here....
For Dining Out and Fun Money, where I had budgeted money BUT no goal... Well stuff happened. The Chaos Monkeys clearly moved the money somewhere. But where? Is that money go sucked in TBB ? Because activities show 0$, I have no indicating where it went.
So..... can I take the granted the following with YNAB. When a month roll-over, Any budgeted money align to a category in YNAB:
- Will be moved to TBB if the category has no goal.
- Will remain in the category if there is a goal.
Well.... if I pressed the Quick Budget, that was surely by mistake. I'm 80% positive I did not do this but I know that on the mobile phone it may be complicated. It just it would have been weird that, by accident, it Quick Budget on 2 items how of 3, while my goal was to see what would happen.Reply