Help! Too much money in "To be budgeted"!
I'm just starting out with YNAB and I'm struggling to have correct amount in "To be budgeted."
I matched all the accounts with my actual bank account.
I budgeted everything I need to budget, and I still have money left in "To be budgeted".
If I create more categories or budget the rest of the money, it will be like me budgeting with money I don't have!
Hi Hot Pink Door !
dakinemaui is right. YNAB combines all of your accounts that have a positive balance - checking, savings, etc.
When you have a moment, here are the steps you can use to verify that the amount in your account(s) matches exactly with your budget in YNAB—no more and no less.
- Advance to next month's budget or the furthest in the future you can go, if you've been budgeting ahead. (The math is easier there, because all overspending is covered.)
- In the right sidebar, when no categories are selected, you’ll see your Total Available amount, which is the sum of the Available column.
- Add that to the amount you have left To be Budgeted and any amount Budgeted in Future, if applicable. Let’s stop here for a minute, just in case your To be Budgeted was negative. If it is, you would need to subtract it from Total Available, because that means you’ve given jobs to funds you don’t yet have. Preferably though, you would go back to this month’s budget and budget less in a few categories until To be Budgeted is back in the green at zero.
- Now, add up the cash in your accounts. That includes checking, savings, and cash accounts, plus any positive balances on credit cards if applicable. Be sure to check through your closed accounts and add any positive balances as well. (If you find a positive balance in a closed account, you may need to delete scheduled transactions and/or reconcile the account.)
- Your totals in step 3 and 4 should match up exactly.
Now, if you’d like any dollars to be in a different category, you can confidently move money.
Give that a try, and let me know if things still aren't adding up! :)