I like to listen to podcasts while commuting, cleaning, walking...
Please add to my podcast list!
So far, I have
Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips
NPR Planet Money
Can't really help you if you're planning on sticking with the finance podcast theme... however if you are interested in other topics here are a few of my favorites (in no particular order)
No Such Thing as a Fish (heretofore referred to as NSTAAF)
This American Life
Ted Radio Hour
With the exception of NSTAAF, all of these are NPR radio shows (or at least the people making them are affiliated with NPR) so they have great production value and know how to tell a story in a very interesting and compelling way.
NSTAAF is sort of like a random trivia show run by a group of people who do research for a british panel quiz show called QI (short for Quite Interesting). The QI 'elves' (as they call themselves) stumble across all manner of interesting factoids doing their research for the show that they share/discuss in very amusing ways. It's hard to explain but it's one of my favorite things to listen to.
In the NPR Family - Planet Money, Pop Culture Happy Hour, NPR Politics Podcast, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Code Switch, and It's Been A Minute
However the bulk of my podcasts are in the pop culture realm:
Show Your Work
Extra Hot Great
Mark and Sarah Talk About Songs
Anna Faris is Unqualified
Making the Sausage (EHG family)
Go Pirates (EHG family)
Blotter Presents (EHG family)
These are Their Stories
Stuff You Should Know
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Sooo Many White Guys
Some of my favorites.
Sci-Fi Short Stories:
- Star Ship Sofa - http://rss.acast.com/starshipsofa
- Escape Pod - http://escapepod.org/feed/
- ClarkesWorld - http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/?feed=podcast
- Light Speed - http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/itunes-rss/
- Cast of Wonders (Young Adult) - http://feeds.feedburner.com/CastOfWonders
Fantasy Short Stories:
- Far Fetched Fables (Fantasy) - http://rss.acast.com/farfetchedfables
- PodCastle (Fantasy) - http://podcastle.org/feed/
Shadowmagic Series Books (Fantasy)
- Shadowmagic - http://shadowmagic.podiobooks.libsynpro.com/rss
- The Prince of Hazel and Oak - http://Shadowmagic2.podiobooks.libsynpro.com/rss
- The Sons of Macha (podcast is not complete yet) - http://shadowmagic3.libsyn.com/rss
Horror Short Stories:
- Darkest Night - http://darkestnight.libsyn.com/rss
- LimeTown (maybe more suspense?) - http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:125221818/sounds.rss
Stories behind songs:
- Song Exploder - http://songexploder.libsyn.com/rss
I am a HUGE fan of the McElroy brothers and their myriad of podcasts on all subjects. The podcasts they do can be found at mcelroyshows.com , but my favorite ones are My Brother, My Brother, and Me (MBMBaM) their “advice” podcast, and The Adventure Zone, where they play Dungeons and Dragons with their father.
Each brother also has a podcast they do with their respective wives, ranging from medical history to manners to everyday things that are just wonderful and uplifting. :D
I agree with a lot of the ones already mentioned, but some I would add that I didn't see listed yet:
Criminal - true crime sort of stories. It's really interesting. About 30 minutes long.
Lore - Sort of about all the things that go bump in the night. The host is a wonderful storyteller, and there is also a 6-episode show available if you have Amazon Prime. I've only watched the first episode, but it's so good! Episodes are about 30 min long.
You Must Remember This - It's about the history of Hollywood, basically, and the host breaks it into series, so there's been one about MGM, a series that just finished about Bela Legosi and Boris Karloff, a Marilyn Monroe series, etc. Episodes are maybe 45-min to an hour.
Reply All - Sort of about a lot of stuff on the internet. I like the hosts' banter. :D I don't remember how long episodes are. Maybe 45ish minutes?
I pretty much listen to each episode as soon as it shows up. :D