Bank of America connection problem FIX (please try!)
For anyone like me who has struggled with BofA connections not working for the past 2 weeks, I tried something that finally fixed the problem for me.
The solution is actually on the BofA site, not in YNAB. I just experimented with it, and it worked. Your mileage may vary.
First, here's the description of the problem I had. YNAB kept asking to send me a verification code through either email or text. And clicking on "Authenticate" would send a code, but there was nowhere to enter it in YNAB. If you have a similar problem, try the following steps to fix.
1. Go to Bank of America site and login like usual.
2. Home screen should say "Hello, <your name>" with two links to the right "Update Profile", and "Security Center"
3. Click on "Security Center"
4. At the far right of the screen there's a section called "Advanced Security Options"
5. Click on "Extra Security At Sign-In"
6. Then click on "Learn More"
7. On next screen, click "Add Now"
8. Log off website, then login again. Confirm that BofA sends you a code (through email or phone), and that that code lets you login. Good? Great!
9. Now, back to YNAB, remove *all* connections you might have in YNAB for BofA accounts that aren't working. (NOT just "disconnect", but actually remove the connection entirely.)
10. Re-add the Bank of America connection.
11. (Here is where things finally started working for me.)
12. YNAB should now prompt you for sending an authentication code. But *this* time you should actually get a entry field to put that code into! Hooray!
13. For some reason, YNAB prompted me *twice* for authentication codes. I simply entered both codes as they got sent to my phone. (not sure why this is, but no time for complaining!)
14. If everything goes well for you, you now have a brand-new shiny connection to BofA that works.
15. Now...up to you, but I went ahead and *removed* the BofA "extra security" from BofA's website, and went back to regular security. I also removed YNAB's connections to BofA and tried this all again. And guess what? It *continued* to work!
TLDR; there seems to be something wonky with the current integration with BofA that gets confused (or expects) security codes even when you don't have that enabled. The steps above *seem* to make it "unstuck" and working again.
I have no idea how long this connection will work for. I could be back here tomorrow. But for now it seems to work. Good luck, all!
Ok, so this absolutely worked for me! I was able to remove my previous connections, enable the extra security, set the connection up in YNAB (it now gives me a place in YNAB to enter the authentication code!), and then I disabled the extra security in on the BOA site....so far so good! I'll update if it stops working for me. Thanks!