Transactions not importing
My recent transactions are not showing up in my accounts - it says that they were updated "a minute ago" yet the most recent transaction is from 4 days ago. This applies to accounts from three different institutions - so I know it isn't on their end. How do I force it to refresh and update the transactions? It is hard to budget when your budget tool isn't working. Please advise.
It does sound like there is a delay there! To give a little insight, here are a few things that can contribute to a "delay" with your imports (besides an integration issue, but we'll get to that!):
- Weekends/Holidays: Most banks aren’t fully operational on non-business days. For example, if a transaction isn’t cleared before the end of the business day on Friday, it typically won't import until the next week.
- Release time: Your bank may hold a transaction as “pending” for 24 hours or more, even if the transaction is shown in your account online. We won’t import them while they’re still pending. In a lot of cases, transactions may be imported from your bank within 24 hours of the time they clear.
- Timing of import: We check for transactions in the wee hours of the morning, but there’s no universal standard between financial institutions for when transactions will post. This means transaction(s) may not have been available yet when we did our early morning check.
- Loading time: When you first access YNAB, it can take up to 5 minutes for new transactions to show next to the 'Import'.
With all of those in mind, delays of up to 3 days are not unusual. However, if you find you're consistently waiting 4 or more days for cleared transactions to import, there are a few possibilities we’ll need to explore. It might mean either there’s an issue with our partner’s integration or your bank may be on a unique release schedule. Either way, we’ll need to ask our partner about it!
To help figure this out, let’s start by ruling out a loading/timing delay. If you’re waiting on cleared transactions to import, here’s the best way to do that:
1. Log into YNAB and wait 5 minutes to see if anything shows up next to ‘Import’. I know that can feel like an eternity! :)
2. If nothing appears, to rule out a timing issue, check back later in the day to see if you're now seeing a number next to ‘Import'.
If still nothing appears, can you let me know the following (you can write in to [email protected] , if you don't want to post this info here):
1. The date, amount, and payee (or you can send a screenshot, if that’s easier!) of a few transactions that haven't imported, but cleared 4+ days ago.
2. The name of the account they’re from (as you’ve nicknamed it in YNAB).
With that information, I'll be able to have our Direct Import partner investigate. 😊