Budget.ymeta missing on ynab4
Can anyone help me please? My ynab4 has lost my file. I had just added new transactions and I saw it sync to dropbox but then it crashed. I have tried to restore from dropbox but it tells me that Budget.ymeta is missing. I found an old solution online which seems to tell me to delete my folder from dropbox on the desktop but i am terrified to do this. Is this correct or is there another way that i can restore it? I have sent a message to Ynab helpline but i doubt that they will answer it now that support has been withdrawn. i did try the old 'restart the laptop' but it made no difference.
I can help. Do not panic.
for both these errors: can’t find budget.ymeta file or the budget.ymeta file is corrupted
I have had both problems before. I can walk you through fixing that.
In either case the simple fix is to add/replace it with a fresh budget.ymeta file. Where do you get a fresh file? You just start a new budget (don’t bother personalizing it). The onboarding wizard will treat you like you've never seen YNAB before; just click your way through the information until you have a new budget created. If your corrupted budget is stored on DropBox, then cloud sync this new budget too.
After you have finished creating a new budget, minimize the budget screen, open up File Explorer, navigate to the YNAB4 folders on your computer or log in to DropBox and navigate to the YNAB4 files there. In the new budget folder you have just created locate the Budget.ymeta file from the file list (screen shot below), and copy that file to the YNAB4 folder for your old family budget. You should delete the old Budget.ymeta file in your family budget folder first.
If your budget is in the cloud on DropBox, you’ll have to go to DropBox to copy the file to the right budget folder (same instruction, different file folder location).
Now go back to the YNAB4 budget screen which still has your new empty default budget template on the screen. Click on File=>Open => locate your older budget from choices displayed on the screen, select your old budget. Close your eyes in silent suplication while it loads up. Ta-da-dah!
Thanks. I will try it but not until I have a printed version of your instructions in front of me! I am not confident about these things at all and don't like doing them. Before I try, could you please tell me whether the following old reply from the YNAB team (found by googling) might do the same job? I haven't tried because i wasn't confident about deleting my budget from my Windows dropbox ynab folder on the desktop.
1. Shut YNAB down if it's running
2. Open Finder (Mac) -or- Open Windows Explorer (Windows)
3. Go to your /dropbox/ynab/ folder (Mac) or \dropbox\ynab\ folder (Windows)
4. Look for your budget by name. If you see it there, continue on to the next step. If you don't, stop here and let us know.
5. Delete that budget. (We know it sounds weird, but this will help us tell Dropbox it needs to restore it in full)
6. Now, log in to your Dropbox account.
7. On the left-hand side of your Dropbox page, you will see a Deleted Files option. Click that and all deleted files in your account will show in grayed-out text.
8. Navigate to your YNAB folder and look for the budget you just deleted.
9. Click on that folder, and click "Restore All Files". All of your budget will be restored.
10. Give Dropbox on your computer time to catch up (15 minutes should do it). Then, you should be able to open it from within YNAB.
Your method appears to have worked. I was able to access the previous version. I am still having a problem with the app on my Samsung phone which is telling me to import the latest version. However the app on my iPod has synced ok and is working. No idea why one is working but not the other.
Last time I got the app via SmartSwitch from my old phone. I knew it wouldn't be available in the Store. I am not sure how to clear the data. I have just looked at the app in settings but can only see uninstall or force stop. At least my ipod has synced with the desktop. There was a slight delay from the cloud when I tried to open ynab and it offered me a version from this morning but I waited for it to sync.